Saturday 10 January 2015

New Year's Resolution Tag - 2015 Edition!

Another year, another pile of books added to my TBR pile. I'm starting this year off with a simple New Year's resolution tag to give myself an idea of what I'm going to read the coming year (this is clearly subject to change, and knowing myself, it probably will.)

Onto the questions!


An author you'd like to read (that you've never read before).


One of the authors I've been hearing a lot of good things about is definitely George Orwell, so I didn't hesitate to buy two of his novels over the course of the past few weeks, those being 'Animal Farm', and '1984'. I'm currently already reading 'Animal Farm', seeing as it's part of my January TBR, so so far we're still on schedule!

A book you'd like to read.


A book I've been meaning to read (and have put off reading for way too long), is 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Eugenides. Coincidentally, it's also the book we're reading for our book club this month, two birds one stone, eh?

A classic you'd like to read.


'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf is one of those books I attempted reading in 2014 but couldn't get into very much. Needless to say, I wasn't able to finish this book last year, so I'm hoping 2015 will bring change to that. Second try's the charm... err... We'll see.

A book you'd like to re-read


'The Shock of the Fall' is definitely a book that captivated me when I first read it in 2014. My friend Whitney is planning on reading it this year as well, so I thought: why not join her and re-read it? It's certainly a one-of-a-kind, spectacular book that I'd highly recommend to everyone. 

 A book you've had for ages and want to read.


If you know me, you probably already know I'm a sucker for a good horror story. Especially anything Lovecraftian. While not one of the easiest authors to read, I always enjoy flipping this book open and reading through one of his many short-stories. World-building and creating an eerie atmosphere are just a few things Lovecraft does best, and I absolutely adore him for it. I've had this book for quite a while and have read some of the stories, but have yet to finish it.

A big book you'd like to read.


Another horror novel? Noticing a pattern? This isn't the biggest book I have on my shelves right now, but it's definitely the one I look forward to reading the most. Doctor Sleep is the sequel to The Shining, which I absolutely adored. I can't wait to see how the main character has progressed through the years, and which similarities he's retained from his younger self.

An author you've previously read and want to read more of.


'Never Let Me Go' is another book by Ishiguro that I did manage to finish in 2014, and because I enjoyed it so much, I picked up 'The Remains of the Day' as well. There's really nothing much to say about this question, I just really enjoyed reading Ishiguro's book, and look forward to reading more of his work. 


A book you got for Christmas and would like to read.


Let's all just take a moment to enjoy the beauty that's the cover of this book. ... Okay, ready? Alice in Wonderland has always been one of my favourite fairy tales, and technically I've already read this book when I was little, but I barely remember anything from it-- hence, me re-reading it this year! 

A series you want to read (start and finish)


Everyone's probably in shock right now-- yes, I've never read any of Tolkien's books, but I'm looking to bring some change to that! Obviously I'd be reading The Hobbit first, but you get the point. Lord of the Rings, here I come!

A series that you want to finish (that you've already started)



I've recently started re-reading 'The Philosopher's Stone' and thought-- why the hell not read all of Harry Potter again? I currently only own the first and the last book, but I'll probably be buying the rest over the span of 2015. It's going to be a magical year.

Do you set reading goals? If so, how many books do you want to read in 2015?


The only reading challenge I'll be doing this year is the Goodreads challenge. I set my goal to fifty books for 2015, and hopefully I'll be able to stick to it. Four books a month shouldn't be too hard to do, right? Other than that, I haven't set any reading goals yet-- besides the books we'll be reading for our book club, of course. 


Thank you for taking the time to read through my first blog post, hopefully there aren't too many grammatical errors and typos that I didn't catch-- sometimes I type too fast for my own good. I wish you all a great 2015, and good luck reaching the goals you set! Happy reading!



xoxo André

No comments:

Post a Comment